Supplementation


Which supplements to take is always a complicated decision. After reading about the supplement pyramid created by Michael A. Smith, MD I decided that for me it made the most sense. The basic idea is that before bothering with any specific supplemental needs you first have to meet the universal needs of the body. Dr. Michael suggests that these foundational supplements are what your body requires at a cellular level for function.
  1. An ideally dosed multivitamin/mineral
  2. Omega-3 fatty acids
  3. Coenzyme Q10
  4. Probiotics
  5. Curcumin 
So I do not take a multivitamin or mineral. Instead I try to have a balanced diet. Always be especially careful when taking mineral supplements as they are competitive in absorption and can lead to deficiency in other minerals. Another supplement that I would consider a foundational supplement especially in northern latitudes is vitamin D as it is used by every cell in the body.

What could be considered an optimization level supplement would be the Glucosamine, MSM and Chondroitin sulfate I take daily. I have read both research supporting and denouncing its efficacy. I figure with the future load my joints will be enduring the possible benefits out weight the risks. I also  supplement protein as my current goal is to consume it at a rate of 1g per lb of body weight daily never more than 30g at a time. Long work hours make it difficult to meet this goal through diet alone. I just buy leanfit whey protein from costco it has a good balance of BCAAs, low calorie and low sugar.

If you are curious about the supplement pyramid more info can be found here: http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2014/4/The-Supplement-Pyramid-How-To-Build-Your-Personalized-Nutritional-Regimen/Page-01

This is not a replacement for professional advice from a dietician.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Lower Body Biomechanics

The Experiment

First trail Run/Walk